Monday, January 28, 2008

Mad River Glen Rocks




I'd always heard good things about Mad River Glen--about how it's a skiers mountain and a throwback to the good old days. But I'd never gotten around to getting up there. Boy what I've been missing.

My wife Carolyn and I skied there on Sunday and had a GREAT time. It's a haul from Boston; about half an hour past Killington, but in my opinion worth it. Tickets cost $25 less and the terrain is terrific with lots of challenging stuff and plenty of glades. It's a local Vermont family mountain with lots of young kids, most of whom will blow your doors off, and a super friendly non-corporate atmosphere.

I only gave the conditions three stars, but that's because the cover is thin and scrapped off in many places. Mad River doesn't make snow, which means the cover might be thinner, but since it's all natural it doesn't easily turn into the steel boiler plate you often find at some other more famous mountains.

A single chair (that is one person) accesses most of the most challenging terrain, which I actually found to be quite enjoyable and surprisingly fast, getting you up some serious vertical in no time. I'm a fairly social guy but there is something nice about not having to sit next to people you don't know and either pretending they're not there or making small talk.

And don't be intimidated by its challenging reputation. It has trails that will suit all levels. A word of caution though, they don't distinguish between black diamond and double diamond trails. If you decide to ski diamonds and aren't careful you might find yourself out of your league.

I suggest you check it out, unless you're a snowboarder. Sorry, Mad River Glen is for skiers only.

No comments: